EckerTech How-to Forum

EckerTech How-to Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Uploading Marlin firmware to Ramps electronics
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:53 pm 

After you have installed Arduino you will need to download the firmware from https://github.com/eckertech/Ecksbot.

(Note: Installing arduino is explained in the "Installing Arduino on Windows" installation guide in the eckertech forums. Those instructions can be accessed at the following link: http://forum.eckertech.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=125)

You will have to download the entire zip file, and it is easiest to download it to your desktop for the rest of these instructions. You can do that by right clicking on the button, and then left clicking on the "Save Link As" menu item from the drop down menu.zip

This will present you with the option of choosing your download location. Click on desktop on the left, and then click save on the bottom right. Once you click save, you'll need to wait a bit for the download to complete.

Once the file has completed downloading, you will have an icon on your desktop representing the zip file of the entire ecksbot build, firmware, and slic3r settings.
Right click on this icon and select "Extract All" from the drop down menu. Follow the onscreen instructions to extract the entire folder to your desktop.

Once you have downloaded and extracted the file, you can delete the zip file if you want, it's no longer needed.

Now open the Arduino software.

(Note: To open arduino, you'll need to double click on the arduino.exe file that is located in your arduino folder. The arduino folder is located wherever you extracted it during the installation that was covered in the following forum http://forum.eckertech.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=125)

When you first open Arduino it will look something like this

Inside of Arduino click on "File" and select "Open" or use CRTL+O

Navigate to the firmware folder inside the eckertech files that you extracted earlier. (From the desktop it should be in the "eckertech folder/Firmware/Marlin/Marlin"). Find the file "Marlin.pde" in the Marlin folder and highlight it by clicking on it, then click on "Open".

The Marlin firmware will now open with several tabs i.e. Marlin, Configuration.h, Configuration_adv.h, EEPROMwrite.h, etc...

To upload the firmware you'll need to follow the steps below (it's easy):

(Note: If Repetier (or another host program) is open, make sure to either close it or disconnect it from the ecksbot before uploading)

1. Make sure the ecksbot is connected to your computer

2. Click on "Tools" then "Board" then "Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK". This will select the arduino mega 2560 as your default board.

3. Click on "Tools" then "Serial Port" then select the COM port you made a note of earlier in the arduino installation guide that corresponds to your arduino (In my case COM8)

4. Click the "Upload" button (highlighted yellow in the following picture) to upload the firmware to your Ramps electronics

5. In the bottom left corner of Arduino a "compiling" message will appear followed by an "Uploading" message. After the firmware has been uploaded the message will change to "Done". There you have it, you have just uploaded Marlin to your Ramps electronics.

Post subject: Re: Uploading Marlin firmware to Ramps electronics
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:29 pm 

I just installed the Marlin firmware (reinstalled? I thought it was supposed to already be loaded but Repetier-Host wasn't connecting properly).

Couple issues:
1. Just a dumb thing I ran into, but after I loaded Marlin.pde in arduino.exe I switched back to the blank project window that popped up on launching arduino before clicking the upload button. This gave me compiler errors and it took me a while to figure out that I had to click the upload button in the "Marlin" window.

2. I found that I'm not able to upload any firmware (tried Marlin and the example Blink firmware that comes with arduino) while the top board is connected to the Arduino. I have to physically remove it, otherwise it just gets stuck on "Uploading..." forever. The troubleshooting section of the arduino site tipped me off to that idea, so I guess it sometimes happens, but is this something you have encountered with your boards? I'm running Windows 7 64-bit SP1, and Arduino 1.0.1 if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:01 am 

Yes, we are having the same issue. We've found that if Marlin has not been uploaded (meaning another kind of firmware has been uploaded or none at all) then Arduino 1.0.1 will upload without any issues. If Marlin is already uploaded then Arduino 1.0.1 will not upload Marlin again, very weird.

We had been using Arduino 23 to upload our firmware and it worked like a charm. However, we figured it would be easier to have our online instructions show how to install and use the new Arduino. We assumed that it would still work the same considering that Arduino 23 worked so well. Obviously, we were wrong but we do have a solution to make Arduino 1.0.1 upload the firmware properly.

After you click the “Upload” button a message will be displayed in the bottom left hand corner “Binary sketch size: ...” when this message is displayed simply click and release the “Reset” button on your Ramps electronics. This will bypass the current problem Arduino is having with their software and upload your firmware. Everything else remains the same.

Sorry for the confusion. I will fix the instructions to show this extra step.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:48 pm 

I too had issues with compiling in arduino 1.0.1 in windows 7, but trying arduino 23 beta worked great, no issues uploading to my Axteeg X1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:55 pm 

I just did this firmware upload (needed height to go past 140), but now my Z servos seem to have issues. I can manually raise and lower them, and everything seems fine. But when I go to print, it will home all the X, Y, Z, but when it goes to raise up after the home, only 1 Z servo will spin.... Almost like maybe it's get getting enough current. Is that something in the firmware that can be adjusted?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:30 am 

I think I just didn't have the firmware settings right. I looked at the numbers entered here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=339&hilit=EEPROM+firmware and once I made mine match, it seemed to be fine.